Now that you know many of the
Cloudy Pool Water, let's look at how to prevent it from happening or treat it...
Prevention of cloudy water is preferred over treatment. Follow these steps to help prevent cloudy water:
1. Physically brush & clean ALL Pool surfaces weekly, including ladder steps (especially underneath each step) & rails
2. Increase the pool's circulation - swim more often, brush, use a
3. Expose ALL pool surfaces to as much sunlight as possible (sunlight & UV are natural oxidizers)
4. Regularly add oxidizing chemicals into the skimmer to purge & clean the filtration lines of any bio-film*
5. When adding make-up water from the garden hose, allow the water to run for 2 to 3 minutes before putting the hose into the pool to help flush out stuff that is in the hose.
6. Regularly test your pool water wither at home or at a local pool professional's store (just make sure that they're not using the same type of testing equipment you are) .
7. Regularly clean pool toys & floats (use
Natural Chemistry Cover Cleaner)
8. Regularly clean pool solar blanket (use
Natural Chemistry Cover Cleaner)
9. Chemically clean pool filter every 4 to 6 weeks (use
Kleen It or
SoftSwim® Filter Cleaner)
10. Add regular Maintenance dosages of "Shock" & Algicide every 1 to 2 weeks as prescribed
Optimizer Plus® as a preventative measure to prevent algae growth.
12. Run the filter a minimum of 12 hours daily to prevent "dead spots" in the pool
13. Remember to clean & rinse the brushes, hoses & vacuums that you use to clean the pool.
14. Leave as much of your pool equipment exposed to the sun
15. Keep the water balanced at all times. Recheck after heavy usage or rain or large "top-offs" of new water. Water balance refers to Free Available Sanitizer level, pH, Total Alkalinity, Calcium Hardness.
16. Pre-treat for metals with
Pool Magnet (especially if you have well water).
17. Shower before using the pool to help remove body oils, cosmetics, etc.
18. Use a
SkimMor to trap pollen & other debris that would otherwise pass through the skimmer & filter system.
19. Cut back overhanging tree branches that put in leaves, pollen, debris.
20. Use enzymes such as
or Natural Chemistry®
plus Phos Free. Enzymes naturally break down organic swimmer &
environmental waste that can exhaust the sanitizer.
to help rid the plumbing system of bio-film build-up.
20. Use the pool!
Follow the 5
keys to Pool Care
Treatment of cloudy water MUST BE QUICK AND TOTAL! DON'T SKIMP!
1. Clean all pool & affected surfaces as prescribed above.
2. Physically clean & remove all visible algae.
3. Physically clean solar blanket, pool surfaces, ladders, etc. that could cause a recurrence of the problem.
4. Look for airborne causes -- excessive dust, dirt, wind storms, that put an additional strain on the pool
3. Add an initial dosage of algicide to the pool*
4. "Shock" the pool with a triple or quadruple dose*
Read about or Download a
FREE brochure about shocking.
5. Run filter 24 hours daily until water is clear & halogen or peroxide levels are maintained at a "higher" level*
6. Chemically clean the filter
7. Bring in a fresh water sample about 4 days later for a retest & evaluation
8. Maintain Optimizer Plus® levels
9. Maintain good water balance of pH, Total Alkalinity & Calcium Hardness.
10. Use the pool!
*Follow the instructions given by your pool care specialist EXPLICITLY. Failure to do so could result in harm to you and/or your pool & its components.
NEVER DRAIN your pool. The liner will shrink, voiding the warranty and could cause damage to your pool. In gunite, plaster, or even fiberglass pools removal of the water from the pool could result in the pool structure "floating" and causing serious damage to the structure.
Purchase these products here
If you still need help, here's how to reach us:
store hours): Stratford 203-377-0100
FAX: (24 hrs) 203-375-7787